Extinction Rebellion protest – Edinburgh, Scotland
Where: Edinburgh, Scotland – Outside the Scottish Parliament building
When: Saturday 17th October at 11 am
What we know
- Extinction Rebellion protesters are to gather outside the Scottish Parliament building in Edinburgh
- The protest is against Shell and Exxon's "environmental crimes."
- Residents have been complaining about flares, smell and air pollution for years, without anyone recognising the injustices done to their community
Area to avoid
- Canongate road
- Horse Wynd
- Holyrood Rd
- Holyrood Gait
- Abbeyhill Cres
If you are travelling, working or living in Edinburgh (Scotland), our travel advice and updates give you practical tips and useful information.
Some protests have resulted in violence and/or looting. Even protests which are intended to be peaceful can become violent.
How to stay safe:
- If you hear that a demonstration is taking place, avoid the area or stay in your accommodation until you are sure that it is safe to go out
- Establish where the demonstration has taken place, and if possible avoid the area
- If you come across a demonstration, don't become inquisitive, just leave the area and find another route to your intended destination
- Don’t run
- Be calm and focused: when things get most intense, react to danger or warning signs
- Know your rights
For your safety, please avoid Canongate road, Horse Wynd, Holyrood Rd, Holyrood Gait, Abbeyhill Cres.